Suspected kidnapper rearrested after fleeing from court

1 Views

Police recaptured a 44-year-old suspected kidnapper who escaped from Protea Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg, arresting him in Limpopo.

Joint Operation Leads to Arrest in Limpopo

According to South African Police Services, the arrest followed a joint operation by the SAPS’s Waterberg Flying Squad, Vision Security Company, and the Gauteng Provincial Organised Crime Unit.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Thakeng said the suspect was found hiding in the Bela-Bela area, under the Waterberg District, and was arrested in the early hours of Thursday, 03 April 2025.

IOL reported that he had been on the run since fleeing court before appearing on kidnapping charges earlier this year.

“The suspect fled court before appearing on charges of kidnapping, an offence he allegedly committed in 2025,” Thakeng confirmed.

Authorities wasted no time in launching a manhunt.

Authorities issued a warrant for his arrest shortly after the escape, and investigators worked around the clock to track him down.

Court Appearance

The suspect will appear before Lenasia Magistrate’s Court soon facing charges of escaping from lawful custody and kidnapping.

Commissioner Praises Team Effort

Limpopo’s Provincial Commissioner of Police, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe, praised the swift and effective collaboration between the teams involved in the operation.

Recent Escapes Raise Concerns Over Security Gaps in Custody Procedures

​In recent months, there have been several notable incidents of suspects escaping from custody or court proceedings.

According to TheSun, In February 2025, Onoshana Thando Sadiki, facing charges of housebreaking and theft, made a daring escape from the Jeppe Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg.

Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi, a Guateng police spokesperson, said: “The suspect escaped when he was appearing at Jeppe Magistrate’s Court on a charge of housebreaking and theft.

During his hearing, Sadiki bolted through the courtroom door, climbed out of a window, and descended three stories using the building’s exterior beams.

His escape was captured on video by a bystander and quickly went viral.

Witnesses saw him slide down the outer face, using the railing to slow his descent before landing on the next floor down.

The Jeppe tracing team rearrested him on February 19, 2025, in Malvern, and they charged him further with escaping from lawful custody.

Should courts do more to stop suspects from escaping?

Let us know by leaving a comment below, or send a WhatsApp to 060 011 021 1

Subscribe to The South African website’s newsletters and follow us on WhatsAppFacebookX and Bluesky for the latest news.