DCS distances itself from viral video

9 Views

The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) has distanced itself from an official who shared her personal opinions about little Cwecwe’s rape case, including allegations about DNA testing from three persons of interest.

The comments were made in a video that has gone viral on social media.

In the viral video, a female correctional officer – speaking at a departmental event –  is heard sharing her comments about the DNA test results taken from three persons of interest in Cwecwe’s rape.

The unidentified woman says of Cwecwe: “She’s just a seven-year-old girl. And I just heard the horrible news now that even the last person – the person we thought was the perpetrator – is innocent.”

The woman then sensationally claimed that Cwecwe was “raped by a ghost” and that “all three men are innocent.”

In a statement, DCS dismissed the official’s comments. It said: “The official, a chaplain in DCS, was delivering an opening prayer when she commented on the case. Views expressed in the video do not represent those of DCS”.

It added: “The department is committed to creating safer communities and to strengthen efforts in the fight against violation of children.

“We want to see all perpetrators against children severely punished”.

NO WORD ON DNA RESULTS

Meanwhile, Minister of Police Senzo Mchunu revealed that DNA results from the three persons of interest have all been taken.

Cwecwe’s rape reportedly occurred at an Eastern Cape school back in October 2024.

The parents of the girl believe that she was drugged during the ordeal after she confided that the alleged incident took place at school while she was waiting for school transport.

Since then, DNA samples of a school caretaker, the principal, and the transport driver were taken.

Mchunu said in a press briefing on Friday, 4 April: “DNA testing was done on the victim as per procedure, and the outcome was that no foreign DNA had been found. Three persons of interest have since emerged, and further DNA testing is underway,”

He added that the investigation into the rape of Cwewe had followed the correct processes, given the challenges.

“A thorough investigation is now fully underway, and I can assure you that we are consulting with all relevant role players to ensure that every aspect of this matter is examined carefully and comprehensively,” he said.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL FOR CWECWE?

Let us know by leaving a comment below, or send a WhatsApp to 060 011 021 1.

Subscribe to The South African website’s newsletters and follow us on WhatsAppFacebookX, and Bluesky for the latest news.

Exit mobile version